Thursday, May 29, 2014

An Important Window

Most individuals would visualize a window as a panel dividing the inside from the outdoors, 
but I believe that a window is not simply a division. 
A window is a connection, 
a meeting spot, 
a crossroads between two planes. 

A window is a book, 
connecting fiction to reality, 
allowing the reader to cross beyond the wall of existence and into a world of fantasy 
or science fiction 
or mystery 
to experience something the real world cannot offer them. 

That is what a window is to me, 
an escape. 

There are times when I feel like I have danced my final number, 
and that the world is scheduled to be crashing down on me at any moment, 
and in those moments I feel my stomach imploding in on itself. 
Withdrawing from reality is the only cure for this anxiety 
and reading fuels that escape, 
making a bad day seem okay, 
inspiring me to persevere through the challenges life throws at me, 
and showing me that in another world that lives beyond a window 
exists hope. 

Just the simple action of opening a book allows me to peer into a land of optimism, 
helping me to strive to accomplish my hopes and dreams. 
And when I stare into the real world 
through the plane of glass that separates me from the cold outdoors, 
I realize that of all the windows in the world, 
a book is the most important window of all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!